Saturday, July 01, 2006

Psalm 119 - The Word of God

A glimpse of God's commands concerning God's word found in Psalm 119;

1. I am to walk in it. Ps 119:1 Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
2. I am to keep it. Ps 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
3. I am to respect it. Ps 119:6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
4. I am to learn it. Ps 119:7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
5. I am to take heed to it. Ps 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
6. I am not to wonder from it. Ps 119:10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
7. I am to hide it in my heart. Ps 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
8. I am supposed to declare it. Ps 119:13 With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.
9. I am to rejoice in it. Ps 119:14 I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
10. I am to meditate on the word of God. Ps 119:15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
11. I am to delight in it. Ps 119:16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.
12. I am to long for it. Ps 119:20 My soul breaketh for the longing that it hath unto thy judgments at all times.
13. I am to seek counsel from the word of God. Ps 119:24 Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counsellors.
14. I am to learn the word of God. Ps 119:26 I have declared my ways, and thou heardest me: teach me thy statutes.
15. I am to understand it. Ps 119:27 Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.
16. I am to choose the word of God. Ps 119:30 I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me.
17. I am to stand with the word of God. Ps 119:31 I have stuck unto thy testimonies: O LORD, put me not to shame.
18. I am to run the way of the word of God. Ps 119:32 I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart.
19. I am to observe with my whole heart the word of God. Ps 119:34 Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.
20. I am to go in the path of the word of God. Ps 119:35 Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.
21. I am to incline my heart toward the word of God. Ps 119:36 Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness.
22. I am to trust in the word of God. Ps 119:42 So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.
23. I am to hope in the word of God. Ps 119:43 And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments.
24. I am to speak the word of God. Ps 119:46 I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.
25. I am to lift up my hands to the word of God. Ps 119:48 My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.
26. I am to remember the word of God. Ps 119:49 Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.
27. I am to be quickened by the word of God. Ps 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.
28. I am not to decline from the word of God. Ps 119:51 The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from thy law.
29. I am to sing the word of God. Ps 119:54 Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.
30. I am to think on the word of God. Ps 119:59 I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.
31. I am not to forget the word of God. Ps 119:61 The bands of the wicked have robbed me: but I have not forgotten thy law.
32. I am to believe all the word of God. Ps 119:66 Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments.
33. I am not to be ashamed of the word of God. Ps 119:80 Let my heart be sound in thy statutes; that I be not ashamed.

This is just a glimpse of the "nuggets of truth" found in this chapter of God's word. There are many, many more..... Take some time today to read through this chapter; but spend the rest of your life taking His word into your heart and making applications in your day by day walk with the Lord. Remember, people can't see your heart, but they do see your walk!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Bouey said...

Thank you for this list. When I was a young believer, reading through the Bible, each time I got to that chapter, I would dread it - as it was so long and seemed so repetitive. Then I got more mature in Christ, got to see how so many Christians didn't care about the Word of God - and I kept growing in my love for it (always loved it, but as a younger believer I thought there were some dry spots - which was probably a reflection on my spiritual condition, perhaps carnal at times...) - but the more I grew to love all of God's Word and to see how it all fit together and to understand why even the "dry" parts were so important and that I could glean so much from even those, the more I began to love this chapter. Yes, it presented a lot of the same ideas over and over - but each use is in a different context, worded slightly different. On some days I could identify with some parts more than others, and then other times could glean from the part I didn't before.

This chapter - though so long - has become one of my favourites. I love the written Word of God, because it is all about the Living Word of God!!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Bro. Jerry,

Thanks for leaving your testimony regarding that chapter in God's word!!! That chapter should be read often by the child of God, and its truths captured and put into action....

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home