Monday, July 03, 2006

Narrow is the Way???

Found below is a post from a pastor missionary made last week on a fundamental Baptist Internet mailing list. Now I know there is no way to confirm the statistics that he has listed, but I thought they were interesting. I post them for your information..... any thoughts???
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I am a little more cynical about the number of people who are saved, narrow is the way and all that. It’s not the jail-house religion that bothers me though, it’s the church-house religion. I think 70 or 80% of Fundamental Baptist brethren have missed it and only have religion, not salvation so of course I think 99% of the prison population have missed it. You probably disagree, but keep in mind I am standing on pretty solid ground when I say that. Most who have pastored don’t want to think that way, but Finney, Moody, Sunday, and many great evangelists and pastors all thought that way. Dr. William Russell Owen is accredited with the statement that of all the present day church members:

5% do not exist
10% cannot be found
20% never pray
25% never attend church services
30% never read the Bible
40% never give
50% never attend Sunday night services
60% never give to missions
75% never accept any responsible position
85% never go to prayer meeting
90% never practice family worship
95% never win a soul to Christ

I would say that would not be far off from the statistics in the IFB churches today. Matthew 7:21-22 Not every one [Baptist] that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; …. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied [preached] in thy name? and in thy name … done many wonderful works [soul winning, giving, etc.]? Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity [our righteousness is as filthy rags]. Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe narrow is the way. I know only God knows the heart of professing Christians, but I attend to believe probably at least 50 percent probably have not been saved that make professions. We have had so much easy believism in the United States that many are pronoucned saved before conviction settles in. Then we have the other crowd that says they are saved but they can do anything they did before they got saved because they are under grace. I hope that many more are saved that profess Christ, but that number of 50 percent may be to high. I just thank my God that I remember the day I fell under Holy Ghost conviction and I trusted Christ. Gives me an idea for a post.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sad thing is that our pastor used to say that at least 75% of churches are truly saved. That is an awesome thought to have so many people sitting under preaching each and every week and still miss it. I don't know if his statistic was right or not but it sure made me think and examine myself. I know that alot of people who attend church sure don't live like Christians outside of the church.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Bro. Tim and Sis. Julie,

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter.... whenever I think of this topic, this always comes to mind.

Matt. 7:22-23 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home