Sunday, June 24, 2007

Give to Others What You Want for Yourself

I've often said that a person can have whatever he wants and as much of it as he wants, basing that statement on Luke 6:38,

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

The verse does not say what to give; it just says "Give, and it shall be given unto you." In other words, if you want love, give love, and love shall be given you. If you want smiles, give smiles, and smiles will be given you. If you want forgiveness, give forgiveness, and forgiveness will be given to you. Whatever you give is given to you again.

But it's important to notice that you get more than you give. When it comes back, it comes back "good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over."

John Bunyan once said;

There was a man in our town - some folks did think him mad.
The more he gave away, the more he had.

If you want folks to speak to you, be the first to say hello. If no one is showing love to you, maybe it's because you're not showing love to others.

Give what you want, and it shall be given to you again, "good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over."

By Dr. Curtis Hutson

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Fantastic Brother. I love your site! I'm trying to put together something very similar for the teenagers in my youth department (I'm the assistant youth director). Check it out and let me know what you think! youngfundamentalists.blogspot.com/ I'll definately be linking to your blog. Thanks for the great content!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Bro. David,

Thanks for the kind words... I'll be praying for your ministry with the teens as well as your blogsite.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Jerry Bouey said...

I am still catching up on some of your posts from June, so I only read this now. It is something I never thought of before, but the application makes a lot of sense. I always thought of it in the sense of giving to meet someone's needs, but your application includes a lot more - and something I will be more diligent to apply in the future. Thank you for the challenge and exhortation in your post!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home