Tuesday, November 06, 2007

As Christians, We Must Guard Our Thoughts!!!

Sin begins in the mind. Thoughts are bold, and daring things will crowd in with unrelenting force. A mind filled with thoughts of God and righteousness leaves little room for evil imaginations. It is the law of counteraction. Gal. 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

So it is with our thoughts as well as our walk. Php. 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Our minds will not think on these things naturally - we cannot be passive. We must actively and resolutely and constantly "think on these things." Set a watch before your mind. Double it. Keep it there!!!

I dallied with a doubtful thought;
"What harm can be," said I,
"In merely thinking of a thing
And letting it pass by?"

But ere I was aware, that thought
Had entered in my heart
And firmly there entrenched itself,
Refusing to depart.

Anon it to a monster grew;
It bound me foot and hand
And, in the kingdom of my mind,
Established its command.

My will a helpless captive lay,
Powerless to be freed -
But for my God's delivering grace
Had hopeless been indeed.

My Lord and Master, guard, I pray
The portals of my mind;
Grant that no soul-defiling shaft
May easily entrance find.

But let the lovely things and true,
The things of good report,
Where virtue is, or any praise,
Mold my most inward thought.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sis. Julie said...

Awesome post and so very true!! That is why it is so important to keep preaching or gospel music or godly things playing and filling our minds.

2:57 PM  
Blogger sattvicwarrior said...

i LIKE the title,
AS CHRISTIANS WE MUST GUARD OUR THOUGHTS". very insightful..
NOW if they would only KEEP their thoughts to themselves, and their self righteous pontificating know it all mouths SHUT and stop condemning and telling everyone on the planet that if they dont believe in god THEIR way, and they are all going to hell it would be a LOT better place to live won’t it???????

6:18 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sattvicwarrier,

Well, I guess it depends on your perspective.... you have no problem coming to my blogsite on your own free will, with no coercion on my part, and making your views known. But, of course, that's fine with me.... apparently something you have read has struck a cord within your heart!!! Isn't it amazing how once truth is presented to someone, it is now burned within their heart and mind; to the point where they must attack it, or come to accept it. Isn't God good!!!!!

I wonder if you would think it is wrong for a stranger passing by a house which is smoking and on fire, to knock on the door and urgently warn those inside of the danger about to consume them. But then again, I'm sure you could care less about others.....

Surely you are smart enough to know that things just didn't appear by chance... everything you own was created by a creator... I've never seen one new car appear on its own from a junkyard....

As a Christian, it is my job to warn you of your eternal destiny only once... after that, your blood is off my hands. God does not force Himself on anyone.... it is appointed to all men to die, and after that the judgement. Unbelief does not change that fact at all....

You came to my site on your own... I did not force my views upon you at all. But, they are not my views.... it's the truth of God as given to man in His Word, the Bible. Your anger is not directed toward me or other Christians, but at God Himself...

Have a great weekend!!!!

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home