Sunday, July 08, 2007

Through the Eyes of a Bus Worker

My three sons left a little after 7:00 a.m. this morning to get to church to begin their bus route, bringing many children and some adults to our church services this morning. Courtney teaches Sunday School in the morning so she misses the morning route, but she helps on the bus after the morning services. Our church runs 5-6 buses each Sunday, bringing between 200-300 people to our services.

Why do churches have bus ministries??? It's very simple..... each of those bus riders have a soul, and each needs to be reached with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Luke 14:23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
Mark 10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

Here is a poem dedicated to bus workers that was published in the June 29, 2007 issue of The Sword of the Lord.

THROUGH THE EYES OF A BUS WORKER

Some see a fight, a push and a shove,
I see a desparate cry for love.
Some see a brat, he acts so bad,
I see a boy who's never met his dad.
Some see the messes and the trouble they give,
I see the poverty in the place where they live.
Some see a teenager who won't dress right,
I see a girl who has to protect herself at night.
Some see a smart mouth, disrespectful and loud,
I see a kid made fun of by a crowd.
Some see a woman who comes just to use,
I see a lady by a drunken husband abused.
Some see a drug addict withered and worn,
I see a soul the Lord wants reborn.
Some see the dirt, the filth and the rot,
I see a kid who without Jesus doesn't have a shot.
Some see a crook whom you don't trust much,
I see a man who needs the Lord's touch.
Some see a bunch of heathen who holler and yell,
I see kids with parents in jail.
Some see a teenager who gives a lot of flack,
I see a boy whose whole family is on crack.
Broken homes, broken lives, those without hope,
They need compassion and God's grace to cope.

For every little girl who lies awake hungry at night,
Lord, help me to keep in the fight.
For every scared boy who sees his mommy get hit,
Lord, help me to be faithful and never to quit.
For every mommy who needs a new start,
Lord, help me to show her how to ask You into her heart.
For every man on whom sin has its hold,
Lord, help me to make sure the "old story" is told.
The Lord to me His mercy has shown,
Lord, help me to reach out so others may make Heaven their home.
May others judge gently when these folks they see -
If not for God's grace, that's where all of us would be.

By Crystal Buchanan
Shining Light Baptist Church
Morganton, NC

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger CindyMae said...

Excellent post! Our church has a bus ministry and we are so blessed by it. Many of the churches around this area do but the sad thing is that so many of them around here only use it for their members and not those who are lost. These churches need to realize what their bus ministries could do for others out there who do not know the Lord.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sis. Cindy,

Thanks for the kind comment about that post... I'll be praying for your church and its bus ministry!!!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Sis. Julie said...

Wow!! What a poem!! Thank you for sharing that with us.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home