Saturday, July 07, 2007

Discussion With An Internet Friend

Today I thought I would share one of the blessings a person receives when they enter into the Blog World; they get a chance to meet and become friends with others in the world of the Internet. Comments to posts on your blog page can bring all types of people, some who are like-minded, some searching for the truth, and of course, some which are hateful and agressively attacking the thoughts conveyed in that one particular post. I get amused at those who scold you for filling their heads with ideas from God - especially since they are the ones who took the time to come to my blog and read the post. A blog post isn't the same as sending an email to someone's mailbox; they must intentionally come to your blog site and actually take the time to read the content of the posted articles. Of course, for you fellow bloggers, you understand the need to moderate the contents of the comments made to your posts, since some contain filthy and hateful speech - usually all they can communicate since they logically can't discuss the idea generated in the post from their perspective. When one stands against the truth of God's word, there is very little one can stand on to combat that truth!!!

Back to my original statement though, from time to time your blog will allow you to meet some people who eventually become one of your Internet friends. These friends come from all parts of the world, from all classes of people, and from all types of various backgrounds. Christian friends can come from different denominations and different stages of their walk with Christ. Whatever the case may be, it is a blessing to meet others in this manner whom you would probably unlikely meet in your routine day to day activities or travels.

The following is an example of the communication that can take place in the world of a blogger; here is an email message I received from a friend who lives in another area of the US.

Rank the following in importance of important to grow in your walk; reading the bible, prayer, going to church, titheing, worship. I want to see if I am thinking right and I need as many people to rank this because I want to make a couple of points and see where I and you stand.

Here is my response that I sent him earlier this morning to answer his request;

First off, they are all important in your walk with God.... the first step of course is salvation, along with the assurance of your salvation.... then you left off one event.... it is only a one-time step, but believer's baptism is the first step of obedience. It is hard for the Lord to use you if you don't follow His first command to be baptized. Worship is an overall attitude and should be exhibited in all phases of your Christian walk.... it is included in Bible reading, prayer, church attendance, and giving, among other steps including serving others. Well, I'm done with my introduction, although you probably didn't have that in mind.... simply rank the items on your list. Here I go with my ranking...

1. Bible reading - we must allow God to speak to us to show us what to do... therefore we must read His inspired, inerrant Word. Folks can get in trouble when they get caught up in reading counterfeit version's of so-called God's word, such as the Book of Mormon, NWT, etc.
2. Prayer - we must speak to God for wisdom, help, adoration and worship, specific requests.
3. Church attendance - we are accountable to other like-minded believer's as we grow in the knowledge of His word, edify other brethren, and serve hand in hand with others. Jesus in the cornerstone of the church and the overall authority of the church, and the church is the Bride of Christ - how can we ignore the importance of the church by saying we don't need to go to church???
4. Giving - our giving should be through the church primarily, although it is OK to give to others also after the His church is taken care of.... we are also to give of ourselves through the local church primarily as we reach out to a lost and dying world, but of course, we give to others of our time, love, compassion, etc. on an individual basis as we serve the Lord in the world on a daily basis.

Finally, you left off the significance of obedience.... if we aren't obedient to do what we have learned, then there is no sense in the Lord showing us other things to help us grow. We grow one step at a time, and we don't skip steps simply because we want to hold on to some things in our life.

Hope this helps....

I hope things are well with you and you have found another job....

What about others who have blogs??? Have you found this to be true??? I am truly thankful for all those that I have met through my blog!!!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Bro. Jeff Hallmark said...

Greetings from the TRUE NORTH STRONG AND FREE... Canada.

You are right-on everything you have posted today.

I would like to comment on just one thought, you said "A blog post isn't the same as sending an email to someone's mailbox; they must intentionally come to your blog site and actually take the time to read the content of the posted articles."

One of the tools that help me get to "Standing In The Gap" and others blogs is "Google Reader". If you are not using this tool then check it out, with Google tools.

Keep up the good work, and we will keep come back.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Bro. Jeff,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment... yes, I know about Google Reader, although I have not personally set up it up to automatically retrieve feeds from subscribed websites. I can see where it would be a great tool.. thanks for mentioning it!!!

4:51 PM  
Blogger The Swamp Fox said...

If it weren't for the web my world would be smaller, and I would not have some of the good, reliable friends that I have. My blog has only increased that.

I have had the pleasure of getting to know a lot of folks from different walks of life, and places that I'd never go. (honestly, who WANTS to go to New York? No Southerner out of his right mind would.)

Sometimes I find myself wondering, "..And how does this person know me? Oh yeah, he reads my blog!"

6:24 PM  
Blogger Courtney, Jer.33:3 said...

Daddy,
I love meeting all the different people that come through my blog!! They have been a true blessing to me! Thanks so much for encouraging me to start one of my own!!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Bro. Jim,
Thanks to you and your family you have inspired me to start a blog and I'm grateful to you for that. It has been strange to find out how much we acutally have in common. I appreciate all the e-mail conversations and can't wait to meet you and your family!

Jeremy

8:34 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Bro. Ray,

It's been a joy to meet you via the Internet... I appreciate your stand on many issues on your blog, and of course admire your dedication to your ministry at both the Christian school and the radio ministry there at your church.

Courtney,

Your blog continues to be a blessing to me; and you are correct as I too think of all the ones you have met through its posts; keep up the good work!!!

Jeremy,

Thanks for your kind words. I hope we will be able to meet in a few weeks at the Sword of the Lord Conference here in NC.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Sis. Julie said...

I am truly thankful for the friends I've made via my blog. God has sent some very encouraging people my way who have become friends. Their blogs have also blessed me. I've not had to fact too much opposition on my blog but what ones I've had that from have not been ugly and have been nothing short of respectful. I'm thankful you started your blog. I've gotten alot of help and encouragment from your posts and have learned quite a bit as well. If it had not been for Courtney starting a blog then Kristina would not have started one and I wouldn't have prayed about starting one myself. Your family is such a blessing to me and I'm thankful each day when I pray that God put y'all in our lives.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home