Monday, January 21, 2008

I SOUGHT FOR A MAN

(This devotional post by Pastor Smith of Mt. Zion Baptist Church describes the portion of scripture where God is looking for that man who will "Stand in the Gap" - none could be found at that time, but my spiritual lifetime goal for many, many years has been to be that man that will "Stand in the Gap," thus providing the name of my blogsite. I hope you enjoy this portion of God's Word and you too will also make it one of your goals as a Christian to "Stand in the Gap" for Him!!!)

Ezekiel 22:30 And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

Few verses of Scripture have more powerfully influenced my personal life than this one. This was the word of the Lord that came to Ezekiel. There was a great need for integrity and holiness in every level of leadership. The prophets, the priests, the princes, and the people were all guilty of corruption. God was left with no option. His holiness demanded that He bring judgment on the land. God was looking for a man that would “make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land.” In some of the saddest words in the Bible, we find this expression, “but I found none.” God could not find the man He sought for. Surely we are not mistaken if we assume that God is still searching for such men. We know that it is true. There has always been a shortage of laborers in God’s work. It was true in Ezekiel’s day, in the days when Jesus was on this earth; and it remains the same today. God is searching for those He can use. I remember when these words first gripped my heart. I was arrested by the thought that God was still looking for men. It does not seem right that our gracious and giving God would have to be in need of something He cannot find, but it is so. He is looking for those who will be available to Him, to use as He pleases. Not only was I arrested by the idea that God was looking for men, but also even more stunned to think that I might be considered as a candidate. Could God use me? Could God use you? For what kind of person is God seeking? God is not looking for people with a particular level of education or intelligence. Nor is His search limited to certain personality types or physical appearance. He is looking for men and women who are sincere and available. He is looking for those who are humble and dependent on Him. God is seeking people of earnest and believing prayer. One of the most important things we can do to “make up the hedge” is intercede. He is looking for those who love the Lord more than they love the world and seek His approval more than the applause of men. It would seem that there would be an abundance of such men and women, but obviously, that is not so. May we heartily respond to this need by giving ourselves completely to God and His will.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Bouey said...

I read your articles mainly through an RSS reader called Feedblitz. It daily sends me whatever new articles are posted on the websites/blogs I have subscribed to. At the beginning of this year, I got so far behind in my emails, so I actually just read this article today. Only about 139 more days of articles to catch up on! ;)

What an excellent exhortation and encouragement to be someone standing in the gap for others. I know we have heard this type of exhortation before - but today it struck me with more force than usual. Thank you for passing it on through your blog. God bless.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Bro. Jerry,

You are sounding like me.... I have tons and tons of stuff saved to read at a later time.... and the time keeps getting later!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you save my posts and read my blog..... I especially enjoyed that post, since it closely matches my blog name....

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home