Sunday, August 19, 2007

Parodoxes in the Word of God

Prov. 11:24 There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty.

The Bible tells us that in order "to get, we must give." This is opposite of the world's method for attaining prosperity, but it is the parodoxical message of the above text, which includes other areas of our life other than financial, i.e. blessings, friendships, love, etc.

Here are some of the other parodoxes found in the Bible;
  1. To really live, we must die - Gal. 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
  2. To save one's life, we must lose it - Luke 17:33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.
  3. To be wise, we must become fools - 1 Cor. 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
  4. To reign, we must serve - Matt. 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
  5. To be exalted, we must become humble - Matt. 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
  6. To be first, we must be last - Matt. 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You have some great articles! Care to trade links? Also, can I copy this article on my blog (giving you the credit)? Lizie

1:35 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Lizie,

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind words of encouragement. Yes, you can copy that article... or any others.

6:05 PM  
Anonymous zack said...

Ive never looked at scripture that way, I love Gal. 2:20, and looking at it from that point of view really shows what its saying.
Great post!
Check out my new blog:
http://boughtbytheblood.blogspot.com/2009/11/love.html

6:08 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Zack,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I wish you well with your new blog!!!

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home