Tuesday, April 17, 2007

If Tomorrow Never Comes

If I knew it would be the last time that I'd see you fall asleep,
I would tuck you in more tightly and pray the Lord your soul to keep.
If I knew it would be the last time that I would see you walk out the door,
I would give you a hug and kiss and call you back for one more.
If I knew it would be the last time I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise,
I would video tape each action and word so I could play them back day after day.
If I knew it would be the last time then I could spare an extra minute or two,
To stop and say "I love you!" instead of assuming you would know I do.
If I knew it would be the last time I would be there to share your day,
well I'm sure you'll have so many more, so I can just this one slip away.
For surely there's always tomorrow to make up for an oversight,
And we'll always get a second chance to make everything right.
There will always be another day to say our "I love you's",
And certainly there's another chance to say our "Anything I can do's?"
But just in case I might be wrong and today is all I get,
I'd like to say how much I love you and I hope we never forget.
Tomorrow is not promised to anyone, young or old alike,
And today may be the last chance you get to hold your loved one tight.
So if you're waiting for tomorrow, why not do it today?
For if tomorrow never comes you'll surely regret the day.
That you didn't take the extra time for a smile, a hug, or a kiss,
And you were too busy to grant someone what turned out to be their one last wish.
So hold your loved ones close today and whisper in their ear,
"I love you very much" and that you'll always hold them dear.
Take time to say "I'm sorry," "Please forgive me." "Thank you" or "It's OK"
And if tomorrow never comes you'll have no regrets about today.

This poem contains some truth regarding our personal relationships with our family and friends, but the real truth of the matter is that we really do not know what tomorrow will bring. Therefore, most importantly, we must make sure our relationship with God our creator has been assured, trusting in Jesus Christ as our Saviour. Then, and only then, can we really love others and care for their needs, since the Holy Spirit lives and abides in our lives. If the Holy Spirit fills us, we in turn will bear much fruit in our relationships with others. We must live for God and serve Him just as if this might be our last day here on this present earth. Put the needs of others ahead of yourself; you'll be glad you did!!!

2 Cor. 6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

Prov. 27:1 Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

Gal. 5:22-25 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sis. Julie said...

I've always appreciated this poem. It serves as a reminder to me each time I read it.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home