Monday, April 16, 2007

Problems in the Church

1 Cor. 1:10-17 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Prov. 15:25 The LORD will destroy the house of the proud: but he will establish the border of the widow.

The Reason for the Problems

Prov. 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.
  1. Pride keeps a person from salvation - Prov. 27:1 Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.
  2. Pride keeps a Christian from repentence.
  3. Pride keeps a church from revival - 2 Chr. 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

The Results of the Problems

  1. Complaints - 1 Co 1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. - Num. 11:1 And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp.
  2. Confusion - This confusion could be over the leadership, or the direction of the church, or the final authority - 1 Cor. 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
  3. Cliques - Cliques will dethrone Christ (they're always right no matter what the cost), divert allegiances (they cause good people to stray from biblical leadership), and divide fellowship - 1 Cor. 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

The Remedy for the Problem

  1. Keep your eyes focused on Christ - 1 Cor. 1:30-31 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
  2. Take heed to sound Bible preaching - 1 Cor. 2:1-5 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
  3. Labor together with God - 1 Co 3:5-9 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
  4. Leave everything up to the Lord - 1 Co 4:1-5 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self. For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord. Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

Conclusion - Everyone in the church is either a part of the solution, or the problem of the church.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro Jim good post. How true our the statements that were made. When a person becomes a problem in the church I believe you hit it right there will be no revival until the problem is dealt with. If we really want revival in our churches we must examine ourselves and make sure that there is no ought between us or someone else. I also agree you are either a problem or you are a help to fix the problem.

Bro Tim

9:49 AM  
Blogger Sis. Julie said...

This is so good. I'm in total agreement that everyone contributes in some way. Either they are the problem or a problem contributor...either they will contribute to the problem or they will contribute to the solution. The cure for all things is Jesus. Amen!!

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great lesson Brother, thank you. I love the way that you summed it all up in your final statement. If every Church member would read this and take it to heart perhaps some of our dead ministries would be regenerated.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home