Sunday, June 08, 2008

20 Reasons I Don't Take Potshots at Fundamentalists

Here is an interesting article posted earlier this week on a mailing list which I thought I would share with my blog readers. One member of the mailing list responsed to the post as follows: "Hey Fundamentalists, see there, those that aren't know what we are supposed to be."

20 Reasons I Don't Take Potshots at Fundamentalists
June 2, 2008
By: John Piper
Category: Commentary

1. They are humble and respectful and courteous and even funny (the ones I've met).
2. They believe in truth.
3. They believe that truth really matters.
4. They believe that the Bible is true, all of it.
5. They know that the Bible calls for some kind of separation from the world.
6. They have backbone and are not prone to compromise principle.
7. They put obedience to Jesus above the approval of man (even though they fall short, like others).
8. They believe in hell and are loving enough to warn people about it.
9. They believe in heaven and sing about how good it will be to go there.
10. Their "social action" is helping the person next door (like Jesus), which doesn't usually get written up in the newspaper.
11. They tend to raise law-abiding, chaste children, in spite of the fact that Barna says evangelical kids in general don't have any better track record than non-Christians.
12. They resist trendiness.
13. They don’t think too much is gained by sounding hip.
14. They may not be hip, but they don’t go so far as to drive buggies or insist on typewriters.
15. They still sing hymns.
16. They are not breathless about being accepted in the scholarly guild.
17. They give some contemporary plausibility to New Testament claim that the church is the “pillar and bulwark of the truth.”
18. They are good for the rest of evangelicals because of all this.
19. My dad was one.
20. Everybody to my left thinks I am one. And there are a lot of people to my left.

Upon reading this list, I wondered, "If that is a description of a fundamentalist, what Christian wouldn't desire to have that attached label???"

Unfortunately, with the passing of each generation, this group of fundamentalists grow smaller and smaller in number.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

getting close to picking a fight with Piper who is my hero in the faith.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

If this is who I think it is, I wouldn't be ashamed to sign your name???

Besides, Piper preaches at a baptist church, and I know how you despise Baptists!!!

I commend the spirit of Piper's blog post directly from his Desiring God blog site dated June 2... as I said earlier, I find his listing very interesting....

9:00 PM  
Blogger sattvicwarrior said...

Unfortunately, with the passing of each generation, this group of fundamentalists grow smaller and smaller in number...
now THAT was the BEST part of that 20 reasons.[ HARDLY unfortunate i might add] the absurdity of it almost wants to make one RUN not WALK inot the other direction. Its amazing how once TRUTH is out ,about the self righteous, self serving pontificating fundamentalists, their "ilk" which is the seat of ignorence is repelled.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sattvicwarrior,

Well, I'm glad you took time to share some words of your wisdom before you took of RUNNING in that other direction!!!!!

But I know you won't venture off too far... something keeps bringing you back!!! :)

This post was primary an evangelical's description of a fundamentalist... but of course, although you are sitting outside the arena of either's influence, you are still welcome to join right in and give your thoughts...

Long time no see..... I hope things are going well for you.....

9:59 PM  
Blogger sattvicwarrior said...

This post was primary an evangelical's description of a fundamentalist...
SCARY isnt it???

1:41 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sattvicwarrior said...

> SCARY isnt it???

Nope, but you have to remember we are standing and viewing the WORLD from two very different perspectives...

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home