Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Importance of Bible Prophecy

During work a week or so ago, the topic of prophecy came up in a general setting. Fulfilled prophecy in the Bible is a vital truth to the Christian faith, but it also gives the Christian today encouragement in his daily walk with the Lord. Here is a portion of a helpful outline from the Learn the Bible website which outlines the importance of prophecy, with an emphasis to the bible-believing Christian and his service to his Saviour and personal evangelism.

I. Prophecy Makes Up Over One-Fourth of the Bible
II. Prophecy is Exalted by God Himself
III. Prophecy Proves the Authority of Scripture
IV. Prophecy Explains the Meaning of History
V. Prophecy Arms the Believer Against Cultism
VI. Prophecy Motivates the Church to Evangelism
A. The Imminency of Christ’s Return
B. The Urgency to Reach the Lost
VII. Prophecy Challenges the Believer to Holy Service
A. To Watchfulness--Matthew 25:13
B. To Faithfulness--Luke 12:42-44
C. To Comfort--John 14:3
D. As an Encouragement in the Lord’s Supper--I Corinthians 11:26
E. To Confidence--Philippians 1:6
F. To Sincerity--Philippians 1:9-10
G. To Faithfulness to the Word--Philippians 2:16
H. To Heavenly Conversation--Philippians 3:20-21
I. To Moderation--Philippians 4:5
J. To Mortification of Fleshly Lusts--Colossians 3:3-5
K. To Waiting--I Thessalonians 1:9-10
L. To Brotherly Love--I Thessalonians 3:12-13
M. As a Source of Consolation--I Thessalonians 4:14-18
N. To Sanctification--I Thessalonians 5:23
O. To Obedience--I Timothy 6:13-14
P. To Pastoral Diligence--II Timothy 4:1-2; I Peter 5:2-4
Q. To Love the Second Coming--II Timothy 4:7-8
R. To Separation--Titus 2:11-13
S. To Look For Him--Hebrews 9:27-28
T. To Patience--James 5:7-8
U. To Endure Temptations--I Peter 1:7
V. To Soberness--I Peter 4:7
W. To Bear Persecution--I Peter 4:13
X. To Godliness--II Peter 3:11-13
Y. To Abide in Christ--I John 2:28
Z. To Purity--I John 3:2-3
AA. To Repentance--Revelation 3:3

Here is the link for the complete outline: http://www.learnthebible.org/prophecy_importance_lesson01.htm

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sis. Julie said...

Bible prophecy is VERY important and also very intriguing. My husband loves to read about it and study it and he shares with us what he reads. I have always loved hearing about it.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sis. Julie,

One only has to look at the daily newspaper headlines or read the top stories online to see that the Bible is true (of course, we already knew that) regarding future events it has foretold; for instance, implimentation of one world government and religion through the push for unity and lack of borders, chip implants which can be used for individuals to buy and sell, and the ablility of the whole world to "see" things as they occur through satellite TV, radio, and Internet communication. When these statements were foretold in the Bible, none of these things were possible in that day and look how many years have passed by to reach where we are today!!!

Yes, we know that Jesus is coming soon!!!!! The Bible is true!!!!!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home