Friday, October 12, 2007

Why Say Amen???

I. What it means:
“So be it”, “I agree” , "That which is true"

II. Some misconceptions:
1. Does not make you a Pentecostal.
2. You do not have to be over the age of 60 to say it.
3. It should not be done for show. Don’t scream it or be disruptive.

III. Why do it?
1. It is Biblical (1 Cor 14:15-16) "What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?" Example of people who were to say Amen when the preacher said something that was a blessing to them. It is a way of saying to singers, pianist, guest speakers and others that they have ministered to your spirit and been a blessing to you.
2. It helps to keep a church from growing cold and formal. Also, it keeps the praise based on Spiritual blessings. While clapping is an appropriate way to praise the individual or entertainer, the Amen is more a praise for the message. I can say Amen to anyone who tries to testify for God, regardless of their ability.
3. It helps keep some people awake!!! : ) : ) : )
4. It helps the preacher know he is getting through. It helps him to know people are listening.
5. It helps affirm that we as a church are in unity on certain points. It testifies that the preacher is not the only idiot that believes it!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Esmeralda said...

Hehe,

Good points.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sheep Wanderer,

Thanks for "wandering by" and taking the time to leave a comment.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Sis. Julie said...

I didn't see the importance of saying "amen" until my husband began preaching. At first I was a bit ashamed of saying it (with me being a lady) but my husband was preaching at a campmeeting in our home church and my pastor then came to me after the service and commended me for doing so. He said that there will be times when I may be the only one to say "amen" to his preaching and he needs that support from me. So from that point on I was no longer ashamed to say "amen" during preaching or singing or testimonies. I know what it does for my spirit when someone says "amen" either while or after I'm singing. It really does encourage me. This is a good post and Christians need to read it so they can know it is okay to encourage or "root" on their preacher!! It is important to be careful when a person says "amen" though. I've heard some say that word at a point in a message that it didn't really fit and came across kinda funny. Have you ever heard anything like that happen?

5:48 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sis. Julie,

Yes, I have heard an inappropriately timed "AMEN" in the past. Apparently, they either misunderstood the particular words of the preacher at that time, or they allowed the atmosphere or emotional rush to "hollar out" an "AMEN" at the incorrect time. I still appreciate their effort!!!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Great Post!! At my church some of the ladies say Amen too. Most churches around here, you will never hear a lady saying Amen,the men is about as bad! I am glad that my church is not that way.

Dave

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home