Sunday, September 09, 2007

Think On These Things

Php. 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

It is nearly impossible these days to turn on the TV, go shopping, go out to eat, read a newspaper or magazine, go online, etc. without our minds being cluttered and our thinking infiltrated by all sorts of improper thoughts championed by the world. In the verse above, Paul gives us guidelines for our thinking as a Christian. Let's review them;
  1. True - genuine, honest, and sincere - We should concentrate on honesty in all our dealings, for "God is true" (John 3:33) and Christ said, "my record is true" (John 8:14).
  2. Honest - better and honorable to all - 1 Tim. 2:2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
  3. Just - equitable - Col. 4:1 Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.
  4. Pure - without spot or stain - 1 Tim. 5:22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.
  5. Lovely - those things which demonstrate love or a response of love.
  6. Of good report - that which elicits praise.
  7. Virtue - a standard of righteousness - He "hath called us to glory and virtue" (2 Pet. 1:3).
  8. Praise - our speech should be to "the praise of them that do well" (1 Pet. 2:14).

"Think on these things" implies a life-long habit, not something our minds should be on simply when we attend church. Many of our lifestyles and thought patterns need adjustment as patterned above. As Christians, we should think with "the mind of Christ."

1 Cor. 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sista Cala said...

I have known this scripture since I was a child. It has shaped my conversation as well as what I allow myself to listen to. Though I don't always comment, I want to say again that I enjoy your work here. Keep getting the Word out.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sis. Cala,

Thank you for the kind words... I appreciate your faithfulness in reading my blog and leaving a comment from time to time.

May the Lord continue to bless you and your family!!!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

This is the one verse that my grandma had us kids memorize at her house during a week's vacation one year! I've never forgotten. I'm glad she had us memorize it. It spoke of how she lived her life. My grandfather was horrible to her yet she just kept her eyes on Jesus and refused to be bitter and nasty.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Karen,

Your grandma sounds like a wonderful example of a godly Christian here on earth!!!!! Her testimony living for Jesus surely has impacted your life as you relate how you still remember that verse even today!!! God's Word will remain with us if we hide it in our hearts!!!

I'm glad to see you signed in with your real name!!! Thanks for being one of my faithful blog readers, along with the blogs of the rest of my family!!!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Just for the record, the only reason I was signed on under Nerak is that my blog was thrown together in a hurry and Nerak(Karen backwards) was what my brother called me when we were kids. When I changed the name of my blog, I fixed the sign-in name as well. An oversight rather than secrecy.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Karen,

That's no problem... I just like it better knowing who I am talking too.... thanks again for stopping by my blog. The stories behind family nicknames are always enjoyable and bring back many memories!!!

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home