Thursday, September 27, 2007

Are You Willing to be Empty???

(Here is an excerpt from Dr. John Goetsch's article "Made From Nothing" in the September 2007 issue of The Baptist Voice.)

In our selfish pride we want to believe that God needs our talents or our personalities to accomplish His work. The truth is, we have nothing outside of Him!!! The apostle Paul poses the question, ".... and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?" (I Cor. 4:7). Whatever you and I possess by way of ability or opportunity is a direct gift from God. John 3:27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. Jesus said "... for without me ye can do nothing" (John 15:5). It is when God gets us down to nothing (or empty handed) that He can make something from us.

One by one He took them from me,
All the things I valued most.
Until I was empty-handed;
Every glittering toy was lost.

And I walked earth's highway grieving,
In my rags and poverty;
'Til I heard His voice inviting:
Lift your empty hands to me.

So I held my hands toward Heaven,
And He filled them with a store
Of His own transcendent riches,
'Til they could contain no more.

And I that I comprehended
With my stupid mind and dull,
That God could not pour out His riches
Into hands already full.

Why don't you empty yourself today of everything "you" are - your will, your goals, your dreams, your agenda? Pour it out before the Lord and confess to Him that you are nothing. Then step back and watch God take the "... things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence" (I Cor. 1:28-29).

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sis. Julie said...

I so desire to be emptied of self so I can better serve the Lord and have Him use me in a more powerful way. Unfortunately....just when I think I'm emptied of self...something happens to let me know I'm not. Thank you for being such a blessing to me!!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sis. Julie,

Thank you for your kind words... you know as well as me, that is why we need to ask for a daily filling of His Spirit... our "old man" continues to fight for control each and every day, and will eventually win the fight if we don't feed upon His Word and ask for the filling of the Holy Spirit!!! Self vs. Spirit is something we need to fight each day!!!

9:17 PM  
Blogger David said...

Great post Jim. It's tough to give up our own dreams and goals to fully surrender ourselves to the Lord. It amazes me how patient God is with me sometimes.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Bro. David,

What you said is so true!!! We serve a great God!!!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home