Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Psalm 119 - The Word of God - Part 1

Psalm 119 is the longest chapter in the Bible. It deals completely with the Word of God. There are three things the Psalmist stresses in this chapter: 1) what we are to do with the Word of God, 2) what the Word of God will do for us, and 3) what the Word of God is to the Christian. I'll share the first point in today's post, while the next two points will be the topics in my subsequent two posts. I pray that you love the Word of God and read it daily to find counsel from the God who created us and the entire universe!

What we are to do with the Word of God
  1. We are to walk in the Word - vs. 1 Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
  2. We are not to be ashamed of the Bible - vs. 6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
  3. We are to learn the Bible - vs. 7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
  4. We are to keep the statutes of the Bible - vs. 8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
  5. We are not to wander from the Bible - vs. 10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
  6. We are to declare with our lips the Bible - vs. 13 With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.
  7. We are to rejoice in the Bible - vs. 14 I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
  8. We are to meditate in the Bible - vs. 15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
  9. We are to delight ourselves in the Bible - vs. 16a I will delight myself in thy statutes:
  10. We are not to forget the Bible - vs. 16b I will not forget thy word.
  11. We are to behold the Bible - vs. 18 Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
  12. We are to understand the Bible - vs. 27 Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.
  13. We are to keep the Bible before us at all times - vs. 30 I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me.
  14. We are to speak of the Bible - vs. 46 I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.
  15. We are to sing of the Bible - vs. 54 Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.
  16. We are to give thanks for the Bible - vs. 62 At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments.
  17. We are to run with the crowd that believes and keeps the Bible - vs. 63 I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts.
  18. We are to believe the Bible - vs. 66 Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments.
  19. We are to hope in the Bible - vs. 74 They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word.
  20. We are to love the Bible - vs. 97 O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
  21. We are to respect the Bible - vs. 117 Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually.
  22. We are to esteem the Bible - vs. 128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.
  23. We are to stand in awe of the Bible - vs. 161 Princes have persecuted me without a cause: but my heart standeth in awe of thy word.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen!!! My favorite chapter in the Bible is Psalm 119. I love reading it and meditating on it. God used it a long time ago to show me the importance of His Word in my life!!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sis. Julie,

I also enjoy that chapter.... please be sure to check out my other two posts on this great chapter.

5:44 PM  
Blogger NoHayNada said...

Amen!! I am very thankful that we do have God's Words since we are to "live by every word that procedeth out of the mouth of God"
Here are two blogs that I believe you will enjoy and can edify

www.kentbrandenburg.blogspot.com
www.jackhammr.org

2:09 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Juan,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.... I'll check out those two blogs.

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home