Monday, July 04, 2005

Bible Study

Five traits that are found in those who do effective Bible study:

1. They know Jesus Christ personally - I Cor. 2:11-16, Rom. 8:5,7
2. They revere and show respect for the scriptures - Pslm. 119
3. They depend on the Holy Spirit's leading - Pslm. 119:12,18,27,35
4. They make sure their life is clean - I John 1:9
5. They develop a keen hunger to know the Bible - Pslm. 119:77,97

Satan is our enemy in every aspect of living the Christian life. This is bluntly true in the Bible study part of our life. He will keep us from the from the Word if he can. Matt. 13:19 says he will even steal the Word if he is allowed.

The life circumstances we are living through affect what we see from the Word. Our personal differences and quirks can hinder us as well as our educational background (this can either help or hinder).

Experience from discipling men and from my own life has revealed that unconquered sinful habits affect Bible study. If I am making excuses for a habit, I easily read past what the Word says about it. If I am under severe conviction about my habit then that is all I see in the passage, missing the other truths taught in it.

Divine illumination is our most critical need in our Bible study:
1. Christ knew we would need divine help - John 16:13
2. Christ provided divine help - I John 2:20-21
3. Christ does not want us dependent solely on others - I John 2:27
4. Christ will compare scripture with other scripture - I Cor. 2:13-14

Oh, for a greater number of noble believers who will study the scriptures for themselves to make sure their Bible teachers are saying what God really says in His Word! We must challenge believers to be good "Bereans."

(Excerpts taken from Bible Tract Bulletin Vol. 46 Number 2 - Rev. Mark Smith, Director)

Ac 17:10-11 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

2 Tim. 3:14-17 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Tim. 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so true. Oh, how important it is to get in God's Word and stay in it!!

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen Sis. Rachel....it is so important for many reasons. For encouragement to keep going for the Lord and to learn of Him how to live for Him. Those who forsake the Word of God begin to fall out of love with Christ. I've experienced that in my own life in the past. I did not like being in that state. I love His Word...it is so precious to me!! I have much to learn but what I do learn I desire to apply to my life with the help of the Holy Spirit!! I also desire to pass on those things to my children so they can know how to live for Him too and have an example to look to in their own home. I fall so short however, but God knows my heart that I desire to be all He would have me to be for Him and His honor and glory!! Love y'all!!

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home