Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The Sheep Need a Shepherd, and We've Got One!!!

The Bible refers to God's people (those who have trusted Jesus Christ as their Saviour) as "sheep." We could note many similarities between real sheep and Christian people, but I want to emphasize the "Shepherd." Sheep need a Shepherd, and we've got One!!!


Isa. 40:11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.


What an appropriate way to describe the Saviour!!! He is further called:
  1. The Chief Shepherd - 1 Peter 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

  2. The Good Shepherd - John 10:11, 14 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

  3. The Great Shepherd - Heb. 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

Then consider these things:

  1. The Shepherd knows His sheep - John 10:14, 27 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

  2. The Shepherd calls His sheep - John 10:3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.

  3. The Shepherd gathers His sheep - Isa. 40:11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. John 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

  4. The Shepherd guides His sheep - Pslm. 23:1-2 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

  5. The Shepherd protects His sheep - Jer. 31:10 Hear the word of the LORD, O ye nations, and declare it in the isles afar off, and say, He that scattered Israel will gather him, and keep him, as a shepherd doth his flock. John 10:27-28 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

  6. The Shepherd died for His sheep - Matt. 26:31 Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad. John 10:11, 15 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Now, what about you, my friend? Are you one of His "sheep?" That's the most important issue in the world!!! Why not receive Jesus Christ as Saviour and "Shepherd" today? You'll be glad you've become one of His "sheep!" He's a wonderful "Shepherd!"

Pslm. 95:7-8a For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your heart, .......

-The Fundamentalist, Sept. 1979

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home