Friday, September 29, 2006

Seven Deadly Sins of Believers

I recently read this article from The Flaming Torch (www.theflamingtorch.org) and thought I would share it with those of you who frequent my blog. Have you have heard the same statements made in your own circle of friends and family as well as from others at church???

SEVEN DEADLY SINS OF BELIEVERS by Rolland C. Starr

I am not referring to drunkenness, adultery, etc. There has been enough of that and it has caused great harm to the testimony of God and the ministry of the Church. The sins I am speaking of are often overlooked, but they have done more harm than all other sins of believers put together. The seven deadly sins are:

1. That's his interpretation, but I don't agree with it! This is deadly and I have heard my share of it. Of course, the person is speaking of the Pastor! This person never goes to the Pastor as the Bible tells him to do; in his arrogance, he just sets himself up as a greater authority and usually causes a church split.

2. Don't tell anyone, but . . . In 54 years, I have seen more injury to the Church through gossip than all other sins combined. This could be greatly minimized if God's people would just say to such a one, “Let's go to the person involved (usually the Pastor), and you can tell me in front of him.” That's what the Bible says. Unfortunately there are as many willing ears as there are loose tongues. God help them, because He is not happy with this.

3. No one is telling me what to believe, what to wear, what to look at, etc. No, that's right – not even God can tell some people. We are living in a day of unparalleled self will and arrogance. See II Timothy 3:1-5, The word of God still says, “Obey them that have the rule over you ...” (All of these sins are related to self-will.)

4. I know the Bible is against it, but I believe the Lord led me to do it. These people act as though they have a special dispensation from God to disobey His Word. You had better be careful! You are saying that God Himself is in complicity with sin and error! You are saying you are something special. You are very foolish!

5. Times change and the church needs to change with them. We are seeing this with a vengeance among Bible-believing Fundamentalists with churches closed Sunday nights, Wednesday nights, contemporary music, come-as-you-are dress, sensual dress, etc. This is how we got liberalism 125 years ago.

6. God understands . . . That is, what I am doing may not be just right, but my circumstances are different than others. Yes, He understands, and He also understands you are going to have to pay for your sin and disobedience, because “Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.” There is no reason to disobey God!

7. You have to be prudent and use common sense. While this may have some legitimacy, these people only want to believe or do what their puny minds conceive. A step of faith is beyond them. They won't attempt anything out of the ordinary, anything that requires trusting God rather than themselves. I have seen people like this poison others with their unbelief and thus do great harm and hold back the work of God.

Notice, all these sins have to do with the self-life. The greatest problem in the work of God is self. In fact, self cannot do the work of God – only hinder it. Christian, God is not happy with self-will and sowing discord among the brethren!

Is there a cure? Yes! “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20)

The problem is getting these self-willed babies to take the cure!

10 Comments:

Blogger crt said...

i wasn't planning on commenting, but the first deadly sin and an inconsistancy has been bothering me. so...
in the previous post, it was clear that you disagree with the stands made by bju, northland and maranatha. have you made any effort to contact stephen jones or bob jones III; matthew olsen, or les ollila; or larry oats to confront them on these issues as the Bible says to do? these are men of God. these institutions are training men and women to serve God. if you truly feel they are breaking Biblical commandments than shouldn't you be speaking to them instead of blogging about them?

10:32 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

CRT,

Thanks again for stopping by and leaving a comment. From your comments, it appears that you have some trouble discerning the correct context of some of the posts that I have made. I even wonder if I know you since as a stranger you clearly believe that you know my own thoughts and intentions???

First off, I posted an article by David Cloud without any comments at all from myself pro or con. I posted it for general information about a survey which has been discussed in great detail over the last year or so on the Sharpen Iron forum, as well as some other email discussion groups. I posted it in case some blog readers of mine might have previously missed it. If you take offense at the author of the article, his email address is clearly posted with that article. You, however, continue to direct comments my way and believe that you know my thoughts...

Second, the context of the first deadly sin is for those "christians" who do not follow the biblical instruction of their pastor and continue to do the things that they want to do contrary to the teachings of the word of God, using the excuse that the word of God can be interpreted in many different ways. They use that "excuse" to continue in their disobedience to the word of God. There are many applications, but only one correct interpretation..

Thus, the rest of your comments have no merit at all since I have not specifically made any negative comments at all to the group of individuals that you have mentioned. I do know a little bit about BJU, but know nothing about the other schools or individuals that you have mentioned. I have visited the BJU campus many times and have made numerous purchases from their bookstore. My wife and I are in our 17th year of home-schooling and have used and highly recommend some of their home school textbooks. I have several nieces who have attended BJU or graduated from BJU and are currently serving the Lord as He has directed in their lives. I do not dictate where other Christians should or should not attend school... that is between them and the Lord's direction in their life.
That being said, I will be honest and tell you that personally, however, I would not attend there.

Please forgive me for my late reply to your comment, as I have been out of town on business. I will be happy to discuss any other thoughts you may have... although email would be much easier than blog comments. Check out my daughter's blog (her link is on my list of links) and leave a comment... her site is moderated and does not publish directly on the blog without her approval. You can leave your email address there....

Thanks for taking the time to read this long comment....

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have ruffled some feathers on this one Bro. Jim. I, however, feel you handled this person with tact and with the leading of the Holy Spirit. What a blessing when we let God lead us and not get in the flesh to respond to such comments. I pray I will always do that as well. You and your family are such a blessing to me and I'm so thankful that God let our paths cross. God bless you Bro. Jim.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Hey there Brother Jim. I really enjoyed this post. I'm going to print it and keep it. It's more of a great sermon outline than an article though, don't you think? LOL

9:12 AM  
Blogger crt said...

hi jim,
thanks for the response.
i will comment further, but my husband just returned home from his business trip, so it's family time! yeah!
thanks

5:47 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sis. Julie and HappyMama,

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I did enjoy this article and see much truth in the author's points.

CRT,

Enjoy that family time... being gone myself earlier in the week on business, I can definitely relate to your comment!!! There is nothing better that being at HOME with FAMILY!!!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Real Good, Post. Thank for posting it.

12:37 PM  
Blogger crt said...

jim,
first, let me say that i enjoy reading your site and being challanged by it.
secondly, i did believe that the comments in white were your editorial comments to the seven dealy sins. i misunderstood that and i'm sorry. therefore, they do not have any relation the the previous post. once again, i am sorry.

these are the two quotes from the other post that most concern me:
"More than 90% of the responders are graduates of schools that have taken a clear stand against the defense of the KJV" i realize bj isn't a kjv only institution, but they are militant defenders of the Holy Bible. they do proclaim God's word and they love it. in fact, the best sermon i ever heard concerning this topic was at bj. (as i'm sure you've already guessed i'm a grad. :-) the sermon: "why i love the kjv."

It is obvious that the term 'fundamentalist' (coined out of Protestantism) does not necessarily mean NT Christian. It is an external, man-made movement promoted to a large degree by the BJU/FBF influence."
this one, (and i know it's not yours) bothered me more than the above quote. the administration promotes opening the word of God, seeking His truth and obeying it. perhaps, i'm not fully grasping the context of the quote, in which case i'm sorry, but it does seem to be pointing fingers in the wrong direction.

btw, i'm not"bju only" person. :-) i won't force our children to attend school there, but will certainly drop them off if that's were God leads them.
thanks again for letting me hop on, but now it's time to play outside.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

CRT,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your reading of my blog. I was not aware that you were a BJU grad, since you mentioned some other colleges also in your earlier comment and did not directly tell me that you were; but I don't hold that against you!!! :) I like Bob Jones, Sr. from what I have read about him in the past. I would have loved to visit the school back in those days when he was around. I know very little about the FBF... I have had no association at all with it during my 25 years of attending independent fundamental Baptist churches.

True, there are many different definitions of a fundamentalist... I don't hesitate to use that term since I strongly believe in the fundamentals of the faith, but I also am a Bible Believer. The Bible is my final authority.....

I believe David Cloud was inferring that the Young Fundamentalist survey data was not representative of all "camps" of fundamentalism, especially the "camps" he would more clearly identify himself as a member.

I was saddened at some of the results of the survey, but at the same time, challenged to make sure I am passing on "the faith" to my children, as we are commanded by God's word. It seems as each generation passes, the younger generation is getting further away from their parents and grandparents tenets of faith. We are losing ground.... and as Christian's, it should not be so... we should be reproducing Christian soldier's to fight the fight against the Devil and the evil in this present day world!!!

9:50 PM  
Blogger crt said...

the survey truly was eye opening. i was surprised by the outcome of several questions. if only more christians were just Bible believers we would have less confusion and feuding among the body of Christ.
i won't hold it against you that you wouldn't attend bj.
i was lol at that comment. :-)

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home